In the 1870s, our founding families, the LaRoche, Porcher and Sams, settled in Courtenay, a community in Merritt Island. They were Episcopalians from the Charleston and John's Island area of South Carolina. They worshipped together using the Book of Common Prayer in the home of John Sams.
The Diocese of Florida established St. Luke's Mission in 1886, and the first church building was built in 1888 with funds provided by Mrs. Lucy A. Boardman of Connecticut on land given by Mr. Edward Porcher. The men of the congregation did the construction. Lay members were responsible for Morning and Evening Prayer two Sundays a month, while Clergy from neighboring parishes, especially St. Mark's in Cocoa and St. Gabriel’s in Titusville, conducted services for the rest of the month as well as weddings, baptisms and funerals.
In 1962, the first resident Vicar of St. Luke's was appointed – the Reverend Paul A. Perrine, Jr. The congregation grew steadily, became self-supporting, and then was admitted as a Parish in the Diocese of Central Florida on November 15, 1974, with Father Perrine as the first rector.
Upon Father Perrine's retirement in July 2000, Father Grayson Garvin served as our Priest in Charge. In 2003, Father Peter Roberts became our full time rector. Our congregation continues to grow and reach out to the community.
St. Luke's Parish was one of the founders of the Central Brevard Sharing Center, which seeks to meet the needs of those people who cannot find help through the governmental service agencies. The Parish holds an annual Holiday Fair each Fall to raise money for the Sharing Center, and many of our Parish members are volunteers at the Center.
St. Luke's Parish facilities regularly host local Boy Scout and Cub Scout meetings, as well as the North Merritt Island Homeowners' Association meetings and other churches’ events.
Since 1886, St. Luke's has sought to make a positive contribution to the spiritual growth of Merritt Island, Central Brevard County, and the wider world.